Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sew, I finally found one!!!!!!

 
















 I have said it over and over; I don't sew. I have also said several times, I am GOING to find a sewing machine at garage sale this summer! Well, here she is! I found her quite early in the season! Drum roll please; only $15! The garage sales have been fabulous lately. I almost didn't stop at his sale and then I saw them...two machines sitting on a table! I saw this one, a Kenmore and also a fancier Brother. I know nothing about sewing, but I thought to myself, "Self, you don't need a fancy one. You wouldn't even know what to do with it.


 Remember the curtains I found at Goodwill? I posted about it here. I am going to make valances for the kitchen window!



When I got home for the garage sales my engineer/researcher (AKA hubby) Spent hours on line looking into the machine. Conclusion; good job, Karen! The older machines are made better. This Kenmore has a Singer engine. The older machines, like mine, are made from heavy duty metal and they last a long time. This older model sells for about $145.00 on-line. My husband also managed to find an entire Manuel on line for free. He printed it out and has it all stapled to together. He also fixed the tension for me and re-filled the bobbin. Love it!


 Of course, when you find a new hobby, things keep popping up all over, like these spools of thread for $1 at an estate sale yesterday!

And this fabulous post from one of my favorite blogs: While Wearing Heals:
http://whilewearingheels.blogspot.com/2013/06/star-garland.html

I love her blog and follow her on Facebook. She's amazing.  I had seen these types of banners on Etsy and Pinterest, but had no idea where to start. Her tutorial is wonderful! If you don't already follow her, you sure should!






 So I tried my hand at it! Super fun and easy....well, not that easy for me. Notice I have no real close ups (Ha!). But, I did it! I really did it! I didn't even get the machine in a jam, like first time I tried to make the napkins above!!
  

 Between My Cricut and sewing machine I am going to have banners all over the house!!!

Also while out at garage sales on Saturday I found these goodies:

 A beautiful King size duvet, comforter and four beautiful espresso silk panels all from Pottery Barn. Never used. They were for staging a house! Score! The two cute suitcases are for Lucie. They are like new. $5 for both.
I also picked up this chandelier ($15) for Lucie girl. She was very excited! Can't wait to hang it....you know who I will be asking to do that...poor Stanislas!

Thanks for stopping by!

Karen


 Parties I am attending:

Join the party!



http://www.thisgalcooks.com/2013/06/30/link-party-marvelous-mondays-53-with-features/#comment-7455


http://jannolson.blogspot.com/2013/06/share-your-cup-thursday-62-giveaway.html


http://thethriftygroove.blogspot.com/2013/06/thrifty-things-friday-115.html



Feathered Nest Friday:
From The Farm Blog Hop

22 comments:

  1. You just made my entire night. Thank you so much for including me on your lovely and inspiring blog in such a sweet way. I had to giggle while I read about your sewing machine. AND, I love your star garland. It turned out GREAT! I love that you used colored paper. Oh, and that chandelier, LUCKY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad! I really love your blog! You do so many great projects! I wanted to make sure I gave you full credit! I can't wait to make more banners....I have already been thinking about Halloween,back to school and Christmas! LOL. My house will be covered! I hope to hang the chandelier this weekend! :) Thanks for coming by!
      Karen

      Delete
  2. I love your machine, Karen. I don't know what happened. You dropped off my list and when I try to put you back on it won't "take". Did your blog used to be a different name? I have had that happen a couple of times. Anyway, glad I found you here. You will LOVE that old Kenmore. I had one for years and years and years and just wore the darned thing out- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana! Hey! Thanks for dropping by :) I've heard I am nowhere to be seen.I have NO idea why??? Maybe I have been kicked out of Blogger?? :) I've tried to go into my settings and see what happened, but I have no idea.I have been loving the Facebook posts from, "Three Sisters Cookie Company!" Headed over to visit you!
      Karen

      Delete
  3. Nice work! I still do not sew....although my husband told me I could pick out a sewing machine for Christmas and I haven't done it yet! I would love to find one secondhand like you did. Great job on the garland - I love the look of it!! And thank you so much for all your sweet comments on my blog :)
    Cathy @ Lemon Tree Dwelling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a lot of sewing machines at garage sales (bread makers too). I am glad I was focused on getting one. It's so easy to get overwhelmed at garage sales! Well, me anyway! I am not going to pressure myself to pick up sewing overnight. I just want to have fun with it for now. Small projects! Thanks visiting! Have a great weekend!
      Karen

      Delete
  4. Wow! You really scored big time! Great finds are excellent prices. The star garland is really cute. Good job!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I love the blog, While Wearing Heels! She does so many fun things! I am happy my banner turned out! Hope have a great weekend!
      Karen

      Delete
  5. Sew on, Grasshopper! You're going to do great, and you're going to love it! Congratulations! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherry Kay! I have seen so many projects that require a sewing machine! I have no excuses now! I am not ready for patterns or anything sophisticated, but I'll sure be able to do more.
      Karen

      Delete
  6. So glad to find your lovely post at Share Your Cup Thursday! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I can make that banner....man! While Wearing Heels is an amazing blog! Thanks for the party!
      Karen

      Delete
  7. Great find on the sewing machine! Love that your husband can be so helpful with the manual!! Those suitcases are too cute! Thanks for sharing with us at TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting a great party! I appreciate that my husband gets excited about this kind of thing! Turns out his colleague knows all about sewing! Stan said they talked for hours about my machine! I wish I could have seen that! :)
      Karen

      Delete
  8. I am SO happy for you my friend! You will have tons of fun with that machine and what a great deal. With the money you saved you can buy fabric! heehee! Love the cute garland. I made a few little stars this week, too! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you post about your stars! I'll have to go see! :) I did save a lot on the machine....in general though, spent A LOT at the garage sales. So many great things last weekend! I am deciding if I can even go back out tomorrow!
      Karen

      Delete
  9. Great post, I love your decorating. I hope you'll come share at our From the Farm Blog Hop:
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/06/from-farm-blog-hop-39.html

    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily
    www.fresh-eggs-daily.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. makes me want to go garage saling. I have not been out there on saturday mornings, because that's when I am doing my long runs...but I need to find one weekend to just get out and do that. What a wonderful sewing machine you got

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the star garland. Such a great project for learning your new machine. Congrats on finding such a good machine at an amazing price.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic finds! Can't wait to see what you whip up on that new machine. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sewing machine and I adore the chandy!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, the machine was a great find. I think you are going to love it. Hubby did good finding all that for you! The garland is really cute. I have not even hit any yard sales yet this summer. Been so busy trying to get everything caught up after being gone. Love that chandy. Another great bargain. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! It makes my day getting comments!